PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Federal Election 2010: Which party will support Aviation?
Old 6th May 2010, 09:42
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't count the BER as nation building infrastructure like a snowy river scheme was. I would not be at all surprised if the BER was an example of political ideology meeting political opportunity.

The insulation 'stimulus' has actually put that industry to sleep until the imbalances (huge oversupply of insulation) caused by political interference are worked out of the system. On top of deaths/house fires/houses made into potential deathtraps the insulation 'stimulus' has actually CAUSED increased unemployment because not only have the vast numbers of new employees in that industry lost their jobs but several 1000 long term employees have too because their employers have a vast supply of insulation batts that have no demand.

On the subject of Howard's Industrial Relations reforms I will just say this - Its all well and good having a high minimum wage and all sorts of employee empowerment IF that decision is made with full knowledge and acceptance of the costs. Politicians DO KNOW the costs but don't care. The public at large DO NOT KNOW the costs and (mostly) don't care. Employers DO KNOW the costs and DO CARE.

A high minimum wage causes unemployment. A high dole promotes unemployment as a reasonable alternative to employment. The inability to sack an employee who is not performing not only removes the employers fundamental human right to run his business as he sees fit for his own betterment and, by natural extension, to the benefit of his other employees, but ALSO removes that job from the reach of a potential employee who might really want it/need it and enjoy/be good at it.

I'll ask this question - Is society as a whole and an individual school leaver better served by our current system or would it/he or she be better served by a system that allowed an employer to pay them what they are really worth (which may be a lot or very little depending on qualifications) and getting them into the workforce where they can start building qualifications and work their way up the pay scale?

To suggest the ratio of mongrel employers to decent ones is 50/50, as one poster above did, is simply unrealistic. Business' just don't survive long term if they are managed/owned by mean spirited incompetent bastards.