PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F, S, green dot speeds
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2010, 07:35
Nubboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All very good stuff. Had a few discussion points in after a sim check a while ago over exactly these sorts of points. My examiner was unable to justify why it was safe to fly from takeoff to above msa below F speed, but unsafe to fly from msa back to the threshold using the same speed.

As far as I understand it, not only is VLS not just more than 130% of stall speed, it's also dynamic in that it responds to wing loading, and therefore indirectly, to angle of bank.

As a slight aside we have one route where we tanker in to a high-ish intermediate airfield after a fairly short sector and aim to land about 500kg under max landing weight. In the summer watching the newbies try to slow the aircraft to configure, with the amber bit just under green dot which itself is fairly close to the amber ticks for the next flap setting, has my full attention, I assure you. Some even seem tempted to want to use the speed brakes as we start to turn base. However when you do get some flap out, the spread opens right out. So why are the trainers reluctant to let you use that part of the green tape if airbus says you can?