PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather and Safety
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2010, 23:33
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the reasons I ask has to do with the AF447 crash from last summer. I often hear it said that turbulence can't bring down a plane, but it seems that this is precisely what happened in this case.
Just an observation on your comment. We don't yet have flight data or cockpit voice recorders, much less a final accident investigation report, so any opinions on what caused this crash are just that – opinions. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that most aircraft accidents are not caused by a single event, but by a chain of errors and/or failures, and that AF447 will in time prove to be no different. I would be very, very surprised if weather alone caused that crash. Most likely, the weather conditions were – at worst – a factor.

As professional pilots we do our best to avoid weather and turbulence, but as Northbeach describes so well, we fly at high speeds through a dynamic environment, and it is unrealistic to expect a magic carpet ride at all times. Be assured, however, that we have a vested interest in getting you safely from A to B, as we ourselves want to get home safely, and with as little paperwork and as low a blood pressure as possible.

If you are flying on an Emirates triple, you are in very safe hands, onboard a phenomenally safe aeroplane.