PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather and Safety
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2010, 21:49
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggins in Riyadh part 2.

There are a few more items I would like to address for you to consider; beginning with your expectations. Your journey from Dubai to Singapore, just a few generations ago, would likely be once in a lifetime event and it would be fraught with danger. In fact your chances of not arriving safely, say 200 years ago, would be quite high. Today tens of thousands of people are aloft around the globe at any given moment; the vast majority of them year in and year out arrive on time and in complete safety. Frankly I worry about my safety much more driving to and from the airport than I ever do about the flight itself.

The environment you are flying through at altitude is utterly inhospitable. At 10,000 meters and higher, where you are flying, the outside temperature ranges between 50-60 C below zero. On the ground a wind of 120 Km/hr is considered a “hurricane force wind”. Winds of twice that strength are not uncommon at altitude. Few if any ground based structures would remain standing in sustained 250 Km/hr winds. Massive weather systems, on a planetary scale mind you, containing differential pressure, temperature and moisture driven by strong winds run into each other causing zones of turbulence. I am not at all criticizing your apprehension, or minimizing your fear, but if you have the expectation of a completely smooth ride for the entire duration you will be disappointed. Taking a jet that distance across the globe is not the same as taking a brand new S-Class Mercedes Benz across a flat parking lot. You can do yourself a favor by fortifying yourself with the assurance that you will encounter some less than perfectly smooth air, and that encounter is completely normal and to be expected. As somebody else mentioned having your seat belt fastened and remaining seated will go a long way towards your personal safety and comfort.

Not all aircrews, airlines and airplanes are the same. Stick with those carriers that invest in the best available equipment, maintain that equipment well, hire the best crews and have the best safety records. You mentioned The Emirates as being your carrier of choice. A close friend of mine was hired by that carrier several years ago. If he is any indication of the quality of pilot employed by the airline, then you are in very good hands indeed. I would say that your choice of flying Emirates is a good one.

Having said all of that occasionally accidents such as Air France 447 happen. I am fairly certain that eventually we will know about the cause(s). But again, statistically you are much safer in your 777 enroute to Singapore than you are on the public highway. I don’t fear lightning strikes; I have been hit more than once. Modern jets are designed to withstand lightning strikes. I would not go seeking a lighting bolt, but they do not worry me. If I am not worried, you shouldn’t be either.

And if you find yourself not getting any relief and the apprehension getting worse then seek out a well recommended “fear of flying” course. There is nothing wrong in getting help or signing up for some training. That’s what I do whenever I have a question or have to do something I have no previous background in.

Pleasant journeys.

Northbeach

Last edited by Northbeach; 30th Apr 2010 at 02:46.