PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather and Safety
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2010, 13:51
scroggins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final 3 Greens: Point taken. I guess the worst thing that might plausibly happen is an extremely unpleasant (and undoubtedly terrifying) period of severe turbulence.

Actually, my fear of flying is largely rooted in a flight I took from Taipei to LA with China Airlines several years ago. Less than halfway across the Pacific (we were flying basically straight across, rather than arcing towards Alaska as many trans-Pacific flights seem to do), we encountered some rather heavy turbulence which continued fairly steadily for several hours. Overhead compartments opened during a few particularly severe bumps.

The screens were displaying the standard information about distance to destination, altitude, speed etc... It was also showing the wind shear, which at times exceeded 500k/h.

I used to fly with China Airlines quite often, and a common trend on virtually all of their flights was significant and sustained turbulence. Perhaps their pilots aren't trained as adequately or in the same method as pilots for other airlines?