PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual "Am I too old? question 2010
Old 28th Apr 2010, 10:31
P Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope that Muddy Boots is right. I am almost 43 years old and have decided to get crackin on my PPL and see how the landscape looks from there.

I have worked as a commercial lawyer for a time and now work for an airline as a commercial manager, having completed an MBA a couple of years ago. And yes I have a wife and child to share my life..

No-one is offering me a job here at this airline, but I will be continuing to ask what the criteria are for hiring and whether or not I am automatically discounted for not being "29 years old". So far, the response has been that age is not an issue - there are just a number of hurdles to clear before anyone can talk about hiring me as a pilot...like learning to fly and passing medicals.

Otherwise, I recognise that I will be taking a pay cut - but if life were just about making more and more money, everyone would work for one of the big banks....zzzzzzzzz...

If I can get into commercial flying of one sort or another by age 45 I will have a crack at something big soon thereafter - and still be able to offer almost 20 years of flying to an employer...not many people are with any employer for that long nowadays. And I am flexible as to type of aircraft and job...

I hear around and about that a pilot shortage is likely to happen in about 5 years (again)..but its just whispers....all good for me if its true though, I reckon.

My best mate has also moved on from being a motorcycle mechanic to doing his AME apprenticeship - he really is paid crap at the moment...and he has two kids. But we all find a way to get thru when we have to...

I would think that anyone younger than me has a serious chance at getting a gig, all things considered. It is me who has to wait and see if it pans outs...I won't fail thru lack of effort though I can tell you !!

good luck to all of you givin it a go!