PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Talking to London Information
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2002, 08:58
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aa

I wouldn't say 'obliged' to provide FIS, but as it's the lowest form of ATC service it's no great problem to provide. I'd much rather be giving just that than watching a blip go stumbling through my ILS at 6 miles and not know what or who they are.

The number of people recently who have called with only a couple of miles to run beggars belief - especially when I'm a LARS unit in addition to approach. The reason "the previous frequency was too busy - we couldn't leave it" doesn't wash when they've travelled 25 miles in a Warrior! It's just poor planning and awareness.

But going back to the original question. I see no problem in calling any unit for a FIS, be it radar equipped or not. But again the responsibility thing comes into it. We've become a nation of 'I must talk to someone' pilots. Why? If you're passing close to another airfield or their inbound or outbound routes then it's a damn good idea. But sometimes it can be just as beneficial to dial up the frequency and listen only. How many people dial up a frequency, hear it's busy and think to themselves "Ok, I'm not going to affect them that much, I'll listen out and announce my presence if it appears that it's a good idea" (you can often guess if the traffic information being passed is you ).

Most of my 'bimbling flying' is done in the Notts, Lincs, Derbyshire area. Waddington provide a wonderful service, but if it's 20K+ visibility and a 4000' cloudbase then the pilot can accept the responsibility of VFR - and looking out of the window themself. Anyway - on days like that why would you want to spoil the experience by talking to someone

Now - Cross country flying. Take a trip I've done a few times, Nottingham - Filton. The Comms plan goes like this.

Nottingham - A/G: Obviously talk to leave.
East Mids - APP: Talk for zone transit.
Leicester - A/G: Call if you pass through the ATZ, listen if going well over.
Birmingham - APP: Busy, I'm remaining outside CAS, listen only.
Coventry - APP: Talk if passing close to the instrument approach, otherwise talk only if not busy, remain VMC and away if they are.
Gloucestshire - APP: Listen if they're just working traffic in the circuit, talk if the've got stuff in the hold/instrument procedure.
Filton - APP: Obviously talk to arrive.

People plan on a map, but never plan their R/T - it doesn't take much extra to think it through.

CM

Last edited by Chilli Monster; 19th Jul 2002 at 09:39.