PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather and Safety
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2010, 16:03
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sroggins I have a fear of lightning strikes even though I have had many as CC and the plane has not plummeted to the ground!!! I know how you must feel. Fears are very real to the individual however irrational they may be to others.

I'm not a Pilot so I have no idea of the significance of the map posted in terms of weather implications, turbulence or it's impact on safety at this time. I'm sure my Pilot colleagues will comment in due course on this.

What I can say to you, based on my own mob's operation, is that no Pilot would knowingly take off into a massive weather system that could compromise safety. Please be reassured on this as I'm sure this would apply to all operators

They will however note any lesser weather systems in the briefing.....their's and ours. We are told if turbulence is likely to be a problem and when the seatbelt signs are likely to be switched on. I also know they will try and get ATC clearance to avoid such systems. However even if they skirt around such systems the pax may well experience turbulence and be strapped in.

IMHO and experience the only safety problems at this time come from the pax themselves.......those who think the seatbelt signs and PA's don't apply to them and ignore them

You are as safe as the instructions given to you by the operating crew in turbulent conditions. An aircraft can withstand an awful lot, pax are a little more fragile. So when you see the muppet that continuously ignores the seatbelt sign which is an instruction from the Captain and the CC who then try to enforce this exert a little peer pressure....

It may do some good and will make you feel better I'm sure