PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conservative `Armed Forces Manifesto`
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2010, 11:57
Talk Reaction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cazatou,

That's an interesting and slightly sad statistic. I should be clear, I've spent a lot of time on ops and generally on balance think what I've been involved in has been worthwhile, I simply feel that those who say such glib comments as 'we need afghanistan to justify us/its our job' are stupid. In an ideal world simply being would be doing our job as a deterrent to aggressors. As you so adroitly pointed out, we definitely don't live in an ideal world, an unpleasant things need to be done. That said, I would happily give up my job if things changed meaning no more British servicemen needed to die or be injured unnecessarily - and I would NEVER quote the need for a war as a justification for my existence.

I wonder if British forces hadn't committed to so many 'peace-keeping' etc type missions since the end of the cold war, whether we would be anything like the size we are today, or if we would already be a small defense force. Alternatively of course, perhaps the cost of all these ops has in a way forced some shrinkage.

Musings aside, it will be a much better day when we are not required to do anything other than be ready - I hope it isnt another 42 years away.