PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Old for the Emergency Exit?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2010, 12:26
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUOTE TheOtherGuy
"It is concerning the ignorance about authority that is sometimes displayed on this forum".

Really ???. As CC I've been visiting/contributing to this forum for a fair few months now as it gives me insight into what makes pax tick. Generally the cabin occupants on here have a lot of respect re the authority of the operating crew on any flight. Much more in fact than what I experience on a day to day basis when I am working. I am regularly challenged on the most basic instructions given to the pax by the pax.

I suspect the comment here though was aimed at aircrew contributers.

Whether you like it or not OtherGuy there is, and has to be, a chain of command and therefore authority on an aircraft for it's safe operation. At the top of that chain is the most experienced and qualified person on board to operate that flight.....the Captain.

However he delegates certain responsibilities to the CC. As an SCCM I ensure these are carried out on his behalf. If I say you don't sit by a self help exit you don't......end of. At my company the Captain will back my decision.

That said most SCCM's have the savvy to exercise discretion, tact and diplomacy. I think this can be achieved at all times. I have never yet had a complaint against me and I have moved a fair few SLF from these exits for take off/landing for various reasons.....not just age.

Ego's from the crew do not come into this at all but I have to say I have met a few pax who have ego's that should be hold loaded they are so excessive

At the end of the day on safety you do as you are told at the time. You have recourse after this direct to the company if you don't agree.

Last edited by lowcostdolly; 26th Apr 2010 at 15:22. Reason: Grammar mistake