PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2011 recruitment
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2010, 16:18
Finals19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VNA....

We have a saying in English - "keep the faith" and its really what you (we) all need to do right now, without succombing to the gamble that is P2F. As Pilot Positive said, at 24 and with 800hrs, you're not in a bad place at all.

We all get the days just as you describe - flying "the desk job", agonising over how on earth we get ourselves out of this awful mess and yes its stressful, depressing and can have a negative effect on both you and your family. Its soul destroying to have spent thousands on training and then just be waiting around, trying to keep current and sending out cv's / researching companies, but without even a response or a "no thanks".

I am 38, have 1250+ hours (with 800 in Air Taxi on Navajo's) am fluent in English and French - despite lots of people being supportive, I cannot find flying work right now either (and I am about to get married!) Its very very stressful, yet I cannot see the logic in rolling the dice with a P2F choice. I have tried to view it as a financial exercise, an investment which will pay itself off in a few years. However, as others on here have pointed out, there are NO guarantees - therefore you cannot project how quickly you will progress and pay that added debt off. You can only "guestimate" and if you have any commitments at all elsewhere in your life "guestimating" is not an option.

Hang in there - things will change and those who have current ratings and some experience will start getting hired again (maybe not onto a jet, but a nice TP which will give you some great further experience)