PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airliners mixing it with gliders and puddle-jumpers?
Old 25th Apr 2010, 06:19
BugOutWest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airliners mixing it with gliders and puddle-jumpers?

I've just been reading an old, closed, thread "LTN arrivals" and wonder about some of the arrivals which seem to have started flying at lower alts over Cambridgeshire, below the controlled airspace with base 5,500ft msl.

I noticed a twin-jet flying southwest over Gransden Lodge when I was flying near there in Nov 09. It was at 4,000ft (level with me) and overhead an active glider site. A few days later I was on the ground at that airfield and a similar flight occurred. Recently [I was on the ground in my garden and] noticed something similar and complained to Luton, who told me that it was an Easyjet positioning flight. It was 10 Apr and I reckon LTN were on 08 that day.

This increase in activity bothers me because it is over where I live, but more to the point it seems less than sensible for airliners to be mixing it with gliders who are all but invisible to the eye and radar. Why are they not above 5,500ft and in the controlled airspace?

Last edited by BugOutWest; 25th Apr 2010 at 14:35.