PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please help selecting a light twin
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2010, 01:35
AEST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While you won't find a twin turbine for the price you're looking at, I'd suggest you might want to consider a single turbine.

Failiures are very uncommon, and knowing you only got one engine kind of ensures you give it all the tender love and care it requires.

Also note that quite a few piston twins don't stay up if one engine quits (with full load).

As for the Aerostar:

- economic in acquisition and maintenance (~$180k) , but will need work
- "club class" seating, 4-6 pax, emergency potty: 4/5Pax +Pilot. No Potty
- Range ~1000 nm Mine runs 1500nm (no reserves), and after that it glides another 50nm
- acceptable performance on short (3000ft) and unpaved (gravel, grass) runways: Depends on engines (290/350HP) , load and Wx. 3000 paved OK, but you must run the numbers
- occasional over-water ops (twin requirement): Crossed Atlantic Brazil-Africa. Good enough? Honestly recommend reconsider if you REALLY need it. Twin that is.
- mostly low-altitude VFR, but pressurized would give some extra freedom: Sure, but also extra $. If normal legs 500nm or less I'd forget about it. Mine is certified 30k, but kind of gets tired above 25k.
- spare part availability, maintenance support (southern Africa): I believe there are several flying in SA so should be no problem.

Oh and cruises about 230 KTAS.

If your expected legs are 500-1200nm it's worth looking closer at (If you insist on piston twin)

More info: Aerostar Aircraft Corporation

To find a used one Aircraft for sale: used Aircraft for sale, Helicopter sales, Private Air Charter, Aircraft Leasing, Airplanes for sale, Aircraft sales, Aircraft Auction

Last edited by AEST; 24th Apr 2010 at 01:52.