PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - fly a commercial plane with a privat license ONLY!, yes it's now possible.
Old 21st Apr 2010, 13:25
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly off thread but doesnt John Travolta only have a PPL with a B707 rating on it? Ok its FAA but......
He owns it! Also there isn't much which specifies how many engines 'multi-engine' is. JT isn't allowed to use his aircraft for commercial operations though. 'Piling' on a film crew and flying them somewhere isn't a problem though if JT pays for the fuel and operating costs.

(If he just happens to add that on to his film fee at the end who is to know but the accountants!)

To use the logic of the original poster if I charter a big jet from my company (Yes it has happened many times in the past and will in the future!) to fly friends and family out for, say, a shopping trip to New York and thus 'pay to fly' I, as the Captain or the Co-Pilot, have no responsibility as I am paying to fly?

Doesn't really work does it?

The fundamental flaws in P2F have been discussed on this board at length. Adding another spin onto it won't help. While some airlines can make money out of it and there are enough pilots willing to be fleeced before being kicked out of the seat for the next drone with deep pockets to be inserted the practice will continue.

My concern is when this 'tranch' of pilots get their halcyon first job and start climbing the greasy pole. What will the Captains of the future be like in 10-20 years. Personally for me a scary thought!