PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Im in an unusual situation
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2010, 06:36
j3pipercub

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey everyone, let's play pick the current/ex RAAFies

I'm just waiting for the best of the best comments, I guess they're implied. Cue, the 'you're just jealous' comments.

The ADF is not training civil pilots.
Thank God! The traffic jam at the holding point would be HUGE!!!!

Hey elwood,

I know and work with guys who were scrubbed from all three arms of the forces. Having spoken to some of them and others in regards to the level of difficulty and methods of training, I do not think you will have any problems, as you got through to PC-9's and judging by your hours, past the IF stage.

I am not sure how long you had been in the RAAF, or whether you had done any flying previous to Flight Screening, but civillian flying, is markedly different from the RAAF environment. The commercial pressure will be something alien to you, but nothing you can't get used to. Flying in a straight line vs screaming up the Avon valley...they are vastly different, horses for courses. I'd much prefer to do the straight line thing, all things considered...

Even though the PC-9 is a crap platform for preparing you for the RAAF's real aircraft, it's still a much better platform for learning IF than a 30 year old duchess.
This is the difference I am talking about. That 30 year old duchess at the flying school won't be a shade on a PC-9, but it will more than likely be the nicest GA machine you will fly until you start flying twins or get into the airlines.

Just remember, there is a big difference between wanting to fly and wanting to fly for the RAAF...

I wish you all the best

j3

Last edited by j3pipercub; 21st Apr 2010 at 06:59.