PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paper free cockpits
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2010, 10:41
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What didnt you understand about "economical" your suggestion requires 2 complete, approved separate systems, and that would be fun in a Citation cockpit.
I'm not your dear guppy, brightspark, and I understand very well the economics in equipping the airplane. Fun is as fun does, but two EFB's in a cockpit the size of a Citation is no problem whatsoever...nor is equipping them with a power source, providing for their updating, their use, or their maintenance. Been there, done that...many times.

Obviously, you haven't.

The cost of doing business globaly for you maybe should not be compared with a chap operating a C550.
The cost of doing business is the cost of doing business, and I've used dual EFB setups in turboprops and turbojets, domestically and internationally. I cited my present example because that's what I'm using this moment. I've used them in turboprop corporate equipment with great success. Again, obviously you haven't. Lacking the experience then, perhaps you simply don't know. Many cockpits in light turbojet aircraft today fly paperless using electronic flight bags, and many excellent, approved options are available for installation.

If you bother to read the original post then you might be able to make some relevant comments.
I did read the original post, and my comments are quite relevant. That you have no experience with the subject perhaps means you're not qualified..perhaps not qualified to understand, perhaps not qualified to recommend, perhaps not qualified to comment. It doesn't mean that my comments aren't relevant...as I'm referring precisely to that requested by the original poster.

Two Electronic Flight Bags in a cockpit are a modest investment. In turn, they free up considerable weight and space that would ordinarily be taken up by many volumes of Jepp charts. They're light weight, fit easily under a seat or between the seat and the pedestle, or in a drawer. Outfitting them with an electrical supply is a simple thing, easily done, and not a complex undertaking. Using the EFB reduces charting errors from mistakes made during revision updates. No more lost charts. No more fumbling for charts during a diversion, or realizing that the volume one needs is under a rear seat or in the baggage. No more having only one chart for both pilots. No more tying up a flight crew doing updates, when the crew could be doing something else. No more having to worry about catching up with updates while on the road or having the updates catch up with you. Updates are simple. In addition, the EFB can carry additional information, such as checklists, maintenance publications, etc.

There is an avionic upgrade also that would incorporate a dual EFB system ensuite, trouble is, it would cost more that the value of the aircraft.
Which is irrelevant to the request of the original poster, and something that YOU suggested, not me. Therefore, your input on the subject is irrelevant, isn't it? Seems you got that backward.

Going paperless means getting EFB's. These do NOT cost more than the aircraft...dual EFB's can be had for several thousand dollars. A very small, modest investment. You know of a CE-550 that costs less than several thousand dollars? Impressive.

The original poster asked about going paperless. This means EFB's. Using a laptop and printing charts isn't paperless. What part of that do you not understand?