PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forget Expats.. where are the Indian Commanders going ?
Old 15th Apr 2010, 20:32
jimmygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I write anything more I will like to state the following about my personal stance..

1. I don't hate expats, or I am jealous of their higher packages.
2. I sincerely hope labor of all sorts should be free to move across borders
without any encumberances and complete reciprocity.
3. I am not a xenophobe
4. Yes I want my government to be sincere about the expat phase-out
deadline.

@152wiseguy

Surely a pilot coming to work in a country for a higher salary than the local pilots only serves to increase the 'market rate' for the job.
  1. When one talks about market the buyer and seller must have freedom to engage in a fair bargain. For workers this bargaining is largely a collective bargain. Expat workers who do not participate in the industrial action, allows employers to have unfair power during these actions.
  2. Expats usually have much less rights than local workers, they are sometimes restricted from changing employers, this restriction itself undermines the expats salary even though it may be higher than the locals. Of course they need to be compensated for forgoing these rights.
  3. Availability of expats reduces the demands for locals and hence the price which locals get for selling their services.

Wouldn't it really be detrimental to t&c in india if people were willing to come and work here for lower salaries than the local pilots?
I agree to this. But statement cannot be reversed, A certain group of workers getting higher salaries provides little or no motivation for employer to increase the salary of certain other group, unless there is legal backing on it.

@drive73
Drive, I must start with the disclaimer that I am not jealous of your perks, you are working for what you thought as a workable package.
The 2 week offs after 8 weeks on is not a perk, its a necessity I am sorry for you that you could not find a flying job which would have allowed you more time with your family.

We make more, but our standard of living is way below the locals. Every fo I fly with has live in maids some have more than one. With the pay I receive I still am a middle class joe.
Thats largely because the local f/o doesn't have to maintain a family in the costly first world country. The live in maid in India costs around 100-150 USD a month. The costs of maids would have been higher if Bangladesh were not supplying more and more maids every day. I am sorry for the live-in maid too, she doesn't even get an 8week on 2week off schedule.

Gimmy live in a place that you can drink the tap water for a few years, where malaria isn't still a factor, where there is a sewer and water treatment facility in the city, parks that kids can actually play at. And then tell me you shouldn't be paid more to come work here.

I have lived and traveled in almost all of the India, big cities with sewage treatment plants, small towns without ones, villages with only drinking water supply is well-water. I had my share of mosquito bites. I had been to the USA, traveled and lived in several towns along the route 66. But I don't have to do all this to understand that you need to be paid more, I am just saying the locals need to be paid more also, and the maid too needs to be paid more.

This place has some neat places, but lets knot kid ourselves your country has some standard of living issues you must really work on and until you do you will have locals who want to leave. Not only do they make more money, but they have clean air and a nice quality of life outside there house.
We are working on it Sir. For some two centuries we continuously lost our wealth, we have been on our own just for six decades, I am proud its attractive enough a place for few expat pilots to leave their families abroad and work here.

I know love for flying can take pilots everywhere.