PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - NATS Pay negotiations - latest rumours
Old 15th Apr 2010, 08:39
Smoggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ref: even now they're looking at new ways of disadvantaging anyone that takes part time.

I believe this refers to the changes the company wish to bring in to the pension scheme, even though we were told that after closing the scheme to new entrants we wouldn't be asked to make any more changes.

As I understand it, apologies in advance I don't have any exact figures to hand:

ATCO A works full time, after returning from maternity leave they go part time (for arguments sake 50%) for 5 years for child care reasons, then return full time.

Under current terms ATCO A can at a later date buy back those 2.5 years to make up their pension at the same rate (defined benefit) as their colleagues who continued to work full time. The company want to change this so that ATCO A would buy back years in to a defined contribution scheme similar to the pension scheme for new entrants instead.

This would affect anybody who reduced their working hours for any amount of time due childcare, illness, looking after eldery relative, etc.