PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was it good for you?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2010, 11:54
XXPLOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As mentioned by an earlier poster, life is tough everywhere. I've been a police officer 13 years. Not a bad job; £53K PA, 6 weeks hols, total job security etc... BUT, with the state the govt has left the nation's finances, the buzz words are "efficiency" and "savings." Lots of senior officer posts cut, opportunities for advancement have never been worse.

Recent joiners started with a worse pension, and it will get worse still. Workforce modernisation will see fewer sworn (read expensive) officers and more 'police staff' with 'designated powers.'

When we require say 200 new officers this year, literally thousands apply. A fair proportion are halfwits and more aren't suitable. More than 90% will fail. We have scores of vastly experienced Sergeants, fully qualified to Inspector who stand little/no chance of promotion for years.

Different ball park to professional piloting I know, but there are parallels to be drawn. I often to say to experienced PCs who incessently moan about their lot, well resign and see who else is willing to pay you £40K pa in the current climate. The answer to that in 95% of cases is nobody.