PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vanguard
Thread: Vanguard
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2010, 11:41
Hanslope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memorable Vanguard Flights

I don't post very often but this thread is bringing back some nice memories.

As a BEA Commercial Apprentice in 1971 my first Vanguard was G-APET back from Gibraltar to Heathrow in November that year. Four of us had been there for the weekend and as usual, ran out of money so arrived at the Airport broke and starving. Only to be told that there had been a cockup on the catering front and that as staff pax we were welcome to fly but that there was not enough meals for us. We sat at the front in a block of 4 seats around a table and the lovely ladies in blue took pity on us and asked all the passengers if there was any bit of their meals they didn't want there were us lads who would be most grateful. In the end from memory we had about 15 Prawn cocktails, 10 cheese and bikkies and a few main courses between us!!!

My last flight in the Guardsvan was June 1973, last flight of the day from Jersey to London. No problems for staff travel this time, as all 18 passengers and a baby boarded the aircraft at 2045. I sat at the back this time, remember those lovely big windows and the great unrestricted view down and along the wing? It was a lovely summer evening, sitting back with a whisky and ginger in my hand as we circled around the Epsom stack watching other aircraft both above and below me, it was simply wonderful.

Lovely to see the Vanguard well looked after at Brooklands, keep up the good work chaps

Last edited by Hanslope; 16th Apr 2010 at 16:45.