PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 Aircraft Collide @ Darwin
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2002, 01:24
Chill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hand propping?

Hand swinging was still being taught in the US on the PPL when I was there years ago, but nary a mention in Oz when I did it here. (Perhaps it was the instructor, I don't know, she was a pretty thourough sort of gal). Ironically all the failed starts I've had have been in Oz ... (faulty solenoids, a few flatties).

I was taught to chock as many wheels as possible with whatever you could lay your hands on (had to use a flight bag and my Jepps once). Always work behind the prop disc as much as possible (especially if your on your own) and never forget to set the brakes anyway. A few compression strokes with the mags off are helpful after priming, but it's done at idle throttle and you always treat the engine as if it were live anyway. Never been able to get a donk running at idle, usual minimum was 1/4-1/3.

Two people is always safer and better, but some times it's a luxury you don't have. I don't mind propping a 4 cyl if done safely, but a 6 ... I don't think safe even comes into it. So much harder to pass through the closer compression strokes and with all the extra effort required it's that much easier to fillet youself on the tarmac.

Coffee thanks! - having said all this I whole heartedly agree with you, just that sometimes the unexpected does happen (for whatever reason - misguided or otherwise) and those who don't know what they're doing always seem to make the news - a la Saratoga at YPPF a year or so ago.

High Alt - bug+ger of a job swinging a B58 and a Part, don't think I would even dare a 31!

"And hey . . . Let's be careful out there!"