PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was it good for you?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2010, 19:50
emb145gearslinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted by IFORD
"After 30 years I'm kept here by the salary (3 times more than a bank branch manager of the same seniority, 2 times more than a hospital surgeon of the same seniority), by the 15 days home each month,"

I have to call B.S. on this one. Either your surgeons are extremely low paid in your country or you are exagerating. Surgeons in the US average $300,000 to $400,000. Some make even more than that. There are NO pilots anywhere in the world making 600 to 800k.

Aviation is full of a bunch of starry eyed dreamers willing to stab the next guy in the back by doing the same job for less. There is no shortage of morons willing to pay for a job either. If your idea of living out of a suitcase 14 to 16 days a month or more is a dream job then I feel sorry for you. I also feel sorry for your families if you even have one. I know many guys in th26 to 35 range that have neither a wife or girlfriend. Either they can't afford to go on a date or they are never around enough to satisfy non cheating women. I feel lucky enough to have made a life for myself before I got into aviation. Sorry Embry Riddle grads. That kool-aide isn't so sweet now is it?

Management around the world has finally figured out that no matter how little they pay pilots they will keep sending resumes. I just got an ad from WASINC for a 747 captain paying 132,000 a year. Pure crap. I bet they have guys lined up out the door for that job. Hey everybody, Colgan Airlines is hiring. I hear they pay upwards of $16,000 a year being based in Newark. Oh boy!!

I am on the way out of this business. It is a sick sick joke what it has become. Contrary to what many of aviation message board sheep believe, there is more to life other than flying planes or sitting in a cubicle. There is this crazy idea some people have of owning a business. You don't even have to sit in a cubicle for 40 years if you choose not to. Unlike the airlines your income is not limited by pilot unions, seniority and airline management.

Ya'll keep eating that turd sandwich and keep telling yourselves how good it is. Maybe one day I'll let you pay to work for me.