PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in/around Edinburgh
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2010, 12:41
sp6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The customer is always right, and in this case, I'm delighted with how things are going. "

Hmm. Oh to have the (over) confidence of youth....

Currency requirements for a qualified PPL at most clubs is one hour every six weeks. US studies with the FAA have proved that this level of flying currency leads to a marked deterioration of skills, culminating in an overwhelming inability to pass an equivalent skills test 2-3 years down the line. (ref The Death Zone -How and why Pilots die - search for it under aviation safety).

That is people who already have their PPL. Gaining the PPL requires new skills & techniques to be learnt every lesson, so a once a month flight will put you at a serious disadvantage. Have a quiet think to yourself about why the word "currency" is so important in the Commercial Aviation world, the military, and in the sobering AAIB reports on light aircraft incidents and fatalities.

Lastly - as I suspect my well meaning advice falls on deaf ears - ask your Instructor if he/she thinks your flying would improve if you flew more often. Of course they will tell you what you want to hear about your progress so far - it would be an instructor with no need to earn money that would risk annoying the customer. What do you think a military or airline instructor would say to a student who deemed one flight a month acceptable?

Please, please - for the sake of yourself, and any future passengers you may have - fly more often!!!!!!!!!!!!!