PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DGCA Expat Phase-Out
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2010, 12:36
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Jimmygill[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']To answer your examples:[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Q If tomorrow you have an offer from Air Canada to fly their Brand New A320 as a F/O with several scores of passengers behind you. Are you going to say, "Look boss I guess you should hire an experienced pilot for this safety critical job?" or will you say "Alright I am ready?"[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']A. [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']As a newly licenced CPL, I’d jump at it. That’s because I’d be too ignorant back then to completely understand or appreciate what the job entails and the knowledge base I’d need to take into the job. Based on what I’ve had for a flying career thus far, I’d recommend NOT taking the job because I know what is needed for the position and its responsibilities.[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Q [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Suppose you selected the later choice, and after 4 years you have around 2500 hrs on A320 as F/O and you also have been working hard and got your ATPL. If the airline now comes with an offer of upgrading you to your left seat, with a 50-80% increase in take-home salary and reduced flight load. Will you say "Look boss I guess you should hire an experienced pilot for this safety critical job and may be I will be ready after I log 2-3000 more hours as F/O?" or will you say "Alright I am ready?" [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']A [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Actually, depending on numbers, if this is the scenario and I have the experience in the RHS as you suggest, then there is likely no reason not to take the upgrade. This is commonplace across the industry. So, I’m not sure what you’re asking here.[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']This isn’t about hours, it’s about experience. Line experience. The corporate pilot does not have the same line experience as an airline pilot. I am not, just so you understand my point, saying one is ‘better’ than the other for both jobs differ greatly from one another. I’ve taught corporate F/Os with more than 4000 hours who didn’t know what IAS/Mach crossover was. So, you tell me.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']It's not about flying the aeroplane for most CPLs can fly the aeroplane. Experience isn't hours, it's what you were exposed to during those hours. It's also about the aircraft type you flew while living those experiences. But I'm assuming most intellectual pilots get it. Judging by the comments, defensive comments I might add, most throughout this thread DON'T get it.[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Willie Everlearn [/FONT]