PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in/around Edinburgh
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2010, 18:33
sp6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is one factor that far outweighs the marginal difference between one school and another - you!

Unlike the military, where you will have a full time professional purely interested in your progress and aptitude, and you will be told/ordered when to fly and what to do, Civvy flying schools will be delighted to take your money and go along with whatever frequency of tuition you choose.

It would be a brave FI that would turn round to a customer and insist that they do homework, preparation, book 2-3 lessons a week, spend full days at the flying club, study hard for the exams etc. Most will be just grateful that you turn up for a lesson every so often!

Far more important than the Grob/C152/HR200/Career FI (oh like he's really going to be honest with you and say "I'm only doing this crap to get hours so I can be a 767 jock") is to assess your own committment to the course.

If you can only fly weekends, book both Sat & Sun. If during the week - book 3+ days. When you have done about 6 hours, start to book (max) two lessons per day. When you get to circuits and then on to Navigation, book a weeks holiday and spend ALL 7 DAYS AT THE CLUB BAD WEATHER OR NOT. Buy the books, study before hand so you make the most of the money you spend at the school. Refresh the lesson at home afterwards. Do not rely on your instructors - have your own drive and motivation to achieve.

So may times I have seen both youngsters and middle aged people book one lesson a month and then been surprised that they aren't achieving. If you really want a PPL, make sacrifices to put the effort and hours in. Do this, and it won't matter who you train with.

Oh and lastly - be this kind of diligent, enthusiastic student and you will help whichever club you are at be a better, more welcoming place for other students (and a better place to work for the FI's).

Good luck, safe flying - but work at it!