PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2010, 10:59
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin

Why just Florida and why not the A333 when it arrives.

All this talk about Air India, Jet & Kingfisher to India but why not Virgin when the A333 arrives subject of course to bi-laterals, which I believe I have seen quoted that only Air India have the route rights?

I agree re the past, there would be little point risking a once or twice a week 744 service (I have seen an British Airtours 747 with over 400 pax go direct to Orlando - scary!), as ideally you would have to position the aircraft in adding costs unless it was operated MAN-MCO-BHX-MCO-MAN and you then only offer six day or 13 day holidays.

I would certainly hope BHX management are aware of the A333 arriving soon at Virgin and are one of the airlines they have targeted and not just for Florida but India as well.

No disrespect to Mahan and Turkmen (between 8 & 12000 pax per month) who are doing a fine job but BHX-ATQ is screaming out for a major operator and I realise that one of these airlines would probably have difficulty sustaining the route on VFR traffic alone but there must be potential for some business traffic to India?

Orlando would have to make do with premium economy I fear but I am not sure of the Virgin A333 configuration although the airport can only ask re potential routes, which I am sure they are doing.

Virgin have seen a potential market at Glasgow to Orlando (albeit with little competition), so why not BHX, especially going east if the bi-laterals allow it (Just imagine SRB and his publicity machine!).

Pete