PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish sea airway crossing / transit?
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2010, 21:52
VMC-on-top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irish sea airway crossing / transit?

ok, thought I had this clear in my own mind but having read a few other threads, now more confused than ever! My understanding was that a class A transit was only possible under SVFR in a CTA and the only way one could pass through a (class A) airway was with an IR.

I have an IMCr (which actually is irrelevant thinking about it). I'm planning to travel South West to Caenarfon, which will take me out over the Irish Sea and there are a number of airways enroute. I know I can't cross them IFR but I thought I may be able to ask for a SVFR crossing / transit however, my question seems to have a different answer depending on the answers to some questions for which there seem no clear answers.

1. Is it correct that I can cross the airway (any airway for that matter) if it is a military controller giving the clearance?
2. Does it depend if the individual airway is treated as a CTA or not and if this is the case, how do i find out if this is the case?
3. It depends if the aircraft is full IFR equipped.
4. If I file a VFR flight plan, I stand a better chance of getting the crossing / transit that I want?

I'm sure its clear from the above that I've read quite a few conflicting threads on this!