PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SkyWest A320
Thread: SkyWest A320
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2010, 08:34
evilc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi K-Ex

Couldn't agree more on the RNAV v's NDB approach bit. For my money no one should need to buy an NDB these days, but just now it would be the least expensive solution. Compared to the retro fit of a fully integrated on board GPS system in an old aircraft that is. Mind you, Alliance look after their ships, so it might be a worthwhile investment for them.

The talking I heard at CASA was only in relation to the use of 3rd party systems for RNAV approaches, not RNAV enroute navigation. Certainly RNP can only be done with Multi Mode Integrated units, but I understand CASA are not keen on the use of the stand alone units for RNAV approaches either. Not sure of the time lines, I heard "later this year", but we all know how CASA's "timing" runs. Surely there will be industry consultation before the change?

P.S. Great to see the Skywest A320 in town. I just hope the CASA hurdles allow the boys to get their hands on it before years end, but as I have said before - I doubt it. I'm a Boeing man myself so would prefer to see Boeings arrive on our shores. But when you can get an Airbus for so much less than a Boeing I guess we'll see more arrive.