Thread: SkyWest A320
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2010, 07:52
kimberleyEx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Evilc

Just interested to your comments as to GPS RNAV for the Fokker 100:

You state:

Mind you, I hear CASA are close to revoking the RNAV approach capability for all 3rd party installed GPS systems that are not multi mode integrated units anyway, so the F100 will be in the same boat soon also. Cloudbreak better buy an NDB methinks
Why does a Cat C transport category aircraft need a Multi mode integrated unit for a RNAV approach? These units are required for RNP approaches but not RNAV.

Also why would CASA revoke this? I am interested to your opinion, in the above Pararagph you state, Cloudbreak better buy an NDB me thinks. Would CASA prefer a aircraft due a Reversal procedure off a NDB rather than a straight in approach provided by RNAV?

Even if the NDB approach was runway aligned, I would still prefer the RNAV approach.

You mention 3rd party type installations for GPS RNAV.

If you are referring to the Alliance machines. They have been flying RNAV approaches for just on four years. At the time of fitment, there was no other multi mode integrated GPS installation available. Hence their 3rd party solution. Therefore, in Aus and possibly all other operators, Alliance were the only operator able to do GPS RNAV in the F100.

Last year Fokker services announced a partnership with Freeflight systems to provide a multi mode integrated GPS installation:

http://www.freeflightsystems.com/doc...SS_Leaflet.pdf

Air Nuigini are the launch customer for this, it is been trialled in one of their F100's at present.

Skywest Airlines have chosen this installation for their fleet of F100's. Whether they waited for this type of mod to be available I am unsure. Once fitted their fleet will be RNP capable not RNAV. Also it will allow a GPS out to be provided for ADS-B.

Cheers.

K-Ex.