PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UNITE for pilots?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 11:07
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote NormanStanleyFletcher

"Alas, their cabin crew, goaded on by the half-wits at Unite do not seem to realise that. I simply do not get it - how could anyone want Unite to represent the pilot community?"

As CC I have zero idea first hand how BALPA operate but I have first hand experience of how UNITE do. IMHO they are a double edged saw.

I have been lurking on the pilot threads for a while now as the CC/SLF ones are for the most part devoted to opinions re BA . Having just had my latest "communication" from Unite which astounded me at the loaded wording I'm going to add my twopenneth here.

Firstly If you are an individual at odds with management and have a good case Unite will fight your corner. Their base reps for the most part are first class and know their stuff. If they don't (inexperience) they will go and find out. Unite's legal dept are second to none and take no crap from management or management's solicitors. I know this from first hand experience.

The BA 777 Captain who IMHO was a hero at LHR and is now out of work may not have been had he had the support and backing of Unite.....they would have done a better job than Balpa. Maybe Norman that is why Pilot's should consider Unite as an alternative?

However the flip side is that Unite will stir up a hornets nest collectively and they are underhand IMHO in the way they do it. I don't have much insight into their actions at BA but this is what I have experienced at EZY recently from them.

A few months ago a comms to our home adresses attempting to divide CC and Pilots re T&C's. It even contained copy corrospondence to our Head of Cabin Services who I have no time for () to incite us. Whatever we may think of her she should be assured she can have her union corrospondence kept private otherwise she may just not corrospond. The potential effect on CRM could have been really bad as well.......

Today I have received a "Consultative Ballot" paper from Unite. It asks "do I feel safe with easyjet reducing crew on the 319 and are you happy easyjet has done this". Tick yes or no. What a loaded question

I am a mature SCCM so can read between the lines here. Am I happy? No of course not as I and my crew have to work harder....3 have to do the work 4 would normally do for exactly the same money.

Do I feel safe? Yes of course I do. Seats will be reduced to reflect the reduced crew to the CAA requirements. Procedures will be revised to reflect the responsibility of dual exits and many airlines do this anyway.

But what box will the majority of crew tick and is this how Unite conducted their ballot at BA.....by dropping the word safety into the reduced crew compliments.

I'm rambling so back to thread......Unite for Pilots? They offer a good service individually, collectively they are questionable. I suppose you have decide what is important overall

Last edited by lowcostdolly; 9th Apr 2010 at 11:39. Reason: Spelling/grammar