PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Endorsement on the 707 in 1959
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2010, 03:19
kookabat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Email just in from Val, answering Kevin's question, plus a bit more:

Yes, it was a considerable strain to remember what we had been told in the initial Basic gas turbine and B707-138 technical courses which I completed in 1958 prior to posting to SFO and we did find that many things had changed or not emphasised. For instance, a red guarded switch allowed water to be used for T/O but this could not be reversed should you be held on the runway awaiting clearance. Remember we did not have "rolling starts" for some time and "spool up time" from a standing start created problems if an immediate T/O clearance was received.
We were in an "infancy" period of RPT operations which was not helped by long, complicated ATC clearances, which had to be read back. We developed an airman's shorthand , but one of our Capts (John Shields) had been a court reporter and his use of Pitman's shorthand was a great asset but many mistakes were made.
On one occasion on T/O at SFO, the water cutout as we passed Candlestick Park and we immediately sagged and just cleared the Gap (SFG) beacon.

2. With regard to the Constellation engine failures, these occurred as separate ocasions on a round trip to LHR from SYD and I never had a double engine failure, however they did occur, even on the B747-100 and 200, which were readily restarted by descending to 21,000'. A light "chop" of turbulence caused instability in steady state in the FCU leading to a flameout.

3. Of course theoretically, you could experience 5 engine failures at the one time should you be positioning and engine via the engine carrying "pod"!
He ends with an intriguing thought:
4. Isn't interesting that none of the airmen of those days has ever been honoured with an award from the Order of Australia?
Val then sent another email with another interesting tidbit:
By the way, on engine failures, we did a number of "three engined" ferry flights as replacement engines were not positioned at every refuelling stop should a failure occur. These flights had to be approved by DCA, also the Captain. I have an image of a 3 Engined L 749 Constellation landing.