PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Aviation Academy fatal midair in Arizona
Old 8th Apr 2010, 23:38
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VC10 Rib22

There were two Chinese students onboard, one in the left seat pilot flying 'under the hood', the other in the right seat non-pilot flying on lookout duty. During the uncontrolled descent to the ground (post-collision) the left seat student was thrown from the aircraft and unsurprisingly received fatal injuries. Amazingly, bearing in mind a large section of the Cessna's starboard wing remained embedded in the Warrior's engine cowling, the other student survived the impact. The Cessna students had left marana to head back to Glendale but took the decision to divert to Coolidge for some unauthorised circuits. After departing Coolidge they flew straight towards the holding stack for Casa Grande, where they paid a terrible price for their earlier diversion.
I agree that there were two students onboard but where does the rest of your information come from? I certainly don't remember a large section of the starboard wing being embedded in the PA28's cowling. The accident did not occur in the vicinity of the TFD hold.

I'm certain that comments such as
Fate was indeed the hunter!
a situation that could give you a closer shave than Gillette
the next arrow hurtling at you at high speed from your 5 o'clock might just be made by Piper.
although likely amusing to someone with a particularly juvenile sense of humour don't help the very capable and unfortunate instructor onboard '94T that morning sleep any better at night.

And you were a student at Oxford? Probably at RYR now I guess