PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The best way to attract students
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2002, 08:31
the coyote

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
A while ago I had a sniff around Moorabbin vaguely thinking of doing a PPL(A). Didn't let any of the schools know I am ATPL(H) and used to be an instructor. Responses:

* 3 schools took my details and promised to send me info, but never did.

* 2 schools both the instructors I spoke to were noticeably young and spoke to me with that subtle kind of "I've got 500 hours and I know it all" arrogance - probably without even knowing it!

* 2 schools, although busy (and I know as an instructor it can be hard to have time for student enquiries) still had some time for my questions and treated me with professionalism and respect and gave me sufficient but concise printed information to take away with me.

No prizes to guess which schools I would choose eh!

I ended up doing a TIF with one of them and found the instructor to be excellent - patient, relaxed and easy going, professional with good CRM and with enough experience to not have to show me or tell me he had enough experience.

My tips to attract students:

* Never judge a book by its cover
* Never bag the opposition, sell your strengths instead
* Have experienced instructors that are patient and personable
* Spend some time to chat with the person making the enquiry, they've taken the trouble to come down there!

Obviously in addition to clean well maintained aircraft, clean office, hangar and well presented staff, good coffee etc etc!