PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flare Mode on A320
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2010, 15:35
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After 4,000 hours on the bus, I still learn things and change my habits. I have learnt that managed is often a bad way of flying this airplane.
If you know the 320 AFS, you can fly it better, more efficiently and more confortably for the pax if you use selected modes rather than managed ones. And it greatly improves your situational awareness.

I will always defend the practice of hand flying skills, but I also think that the most important ATA chapter in eny airplane's FCOM is Autoflight.

We are too used to automation. Try to do a NO FD TAKE OFF. The first time I didn't "like" to see the FMA totally blank. I hesitated for a second as there was not any call out after take off thurst selection. So after a few seconds wondering what should I check I remembered to at least check that the thrust effectively was on FLEX (there is not even a MAN FLEX white FMA, since A/THR does not arm). After that I always say "FMA BLANK". You can even find "challenging" a low altitude level off (when the ATC has cleared you to 3000 thousand and instead of clearing you higher as usually they say "maintain"). It should be not, right?
That is why I highly recommend to practice such take offs every once in a while when circumstances are ok. I also highly recommend not to forget selecting V2 and once airborne not to push again the A/THR (the automation element that most pilots wish to recover in the first place, in my experience) before selecting a higher speed!