PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK dispatcher license
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2010, 12:14
PNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Sig

Excellent question, WHY does the UAE and Malaysia government issue a Flight Dispatcher's (Flight Operations Officer's license in Malaysia) based on a course that is geared for Part 121.

Each Jeppesen student gets an FAR / AIM book as well as the Gliem FAA ATP test reprint with answers that the FAA uses for the ADX (Aircraft Dispatcher's computer testing center knowledge test).

The only difference is that UAE & Malaysia classes get 2 hours of Aviation Law differences slides tailored for their country. The O & P exam is based on Part 121 rules, such as diversion alternates (FAA's 1-2-3 rule), takeoff minimums etc. All the slides appear old to me, tailored for an American audience, and yet it is delivered in and accepted by the UAE and Malaysia...

It is a hefty price to take the course, they jack it up to approximately US$7,000 (+ housing + meals + lost pay for 7 weeks) or so outside the U.S. to give an FAA legally unrecognized course that they hail as "FAA Approved" to mostly 3rd world working stiffs that have no choice as they try to avail themselves to a better life.

It is not over with just that price as Director of Jeppesen Academy and Manager of Eastern Hemisphere fly in as sole designated examiner's for both countries and charge them another US$300 (cash only accepted in US$ or local equivalent) for the O & P exam and then the UAE government hits them again for another US$300 for a 2 years licensing fee.

Oh but Jeppesen, a Boeing Company, says to them we are an "FAA Approved" course, somehow I just do not feel that way.. and then to the 3rd world folks no less.

It is my opinion that Jeppesen gives aviation a bad name... a real bad name!

Last edited by PNY; 8th Apr 2010 at 13:26.