PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government "Bans noisy aircraft"
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2010, 02:19
Cactusjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good ol days

Worrals
The PAE stories are many, varied and defamatory
Agreed. I won't go down that path either.
I do recall however seeing the underfloor of one of their 727's during a c-check. Amazing the damage that a product like seafood can cause.I will leave it at that.
I also had an interesting 'personal experience' one evening in relation to that particular aircraft and all I will say is that it involved an angry Yugoslav tech crew,Smirnov and some unusual stains on the black and white spotted sheepskin seat covers !! Good ol days indeed.
The last AN-12 (there was a series of them) sat derelict at YBBN for a year or so gathering dust until BAC got the Sts and evicted it, complete with flat tyres and resident mouse population.
I remeber BAC were sick of the fee's not being paid,you know how airports get when they are owed money !
I took a look at the old bucket as it sat on the tarmac one summer's day, the Antonov was sitting on it's lonesome,around 37 degrees,and there were two green frogs sitting on top of one of those flat tyres, in the middle of nowhere, very strange.
Another reliable source informed me that on occasion you could see rats scurrying back and forth to the aircraft as she sat,day and night ! Maybe the mice you mentioned grew ?

I have heard that around 10 of the An-12's are still in existence around the world today as freighters,owned by the same company and still flown by the Yugoslav's. Maybe someone can update me ? Some great memories !