PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Endorsement on the 707 in 1959
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2010, 13:05
kookabat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic, we've pulled another B707 pilot out of the woodwork G-ALHI, more from you as well please!

Kevin - I've emailed Val again and forwarded your question to him; will post his response here.

I should note here that the text I am quoting is from the transcript of a number of talks given to the Sydney Branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society at the University of NSW in July 2009, on the 50th anniversary of Qantas receiving its first jet - VH-EBA, the airframe that is now at the Qantas Founders Museum in Longreach, Queensland. I may be able to dredge some more up from some of the other speakers on that night (once I've finished with Val's section).

For now, on with the program - here's Part II.

Endorsement Blues - Boeing 707/ 138, July 1959 by Capt Val St Leon. Part II.
VH-EBA was rolled off the line on 11/2/1959 at Renton with JT3C6 engines which gave 13,500 lbs thrust and was accepted as “City of Melbourne” on 7/6/1959. The delivery flight Seattle to Sydney took 18 hrs 34 minutes under command of Capt’s Bert Yates, with Ian Ralphe and Fred Fox.

Water injection for T/O was mandatory for heavy weights and due to smoke; its emission footprint was very high.

I was convinced during my training that the reduction in fuselage length on the 138 series had reduced steerage way in the event of an engine failure. As we passed V1, Ed Hartz failed an outboard engine at the Rotate call (Vr). I immediately applied full rudder (“dead engine dead foot”) and skimmed off the runway 30 degrees before V2 (safety speed) had been reached. I struggled to complete a square circuit. Ed smiled at me and said “How did you manage to do that, Val?” Words failed me and my right leg was twitching violently due to strain, when rudder trim was zeroed. I should have said that it wasn’t easy. Later a small ventral fin was added to aid steerage way, but care was then needed, as the 138 became somewhat geometry limited, should it be over rotated on Take Off.

Ed Hartz was a great instructor and thought we were doing well and handed us over at 11 hrs 10mins for final check to the Chief Flying Instructor, Eric Robinson, not noted for cheery conversation, or having read “The Art of Counting Rivets”. We both completed the “traps” instrument flying exercise quite well and returned via Diggers Rest for asymmetric approaches and landings. Ross was promptly failed on his first 3 engined landing and without getting in to the LH seat; I was told that I had failed also, “as you would be flying exactly the same as Ross!” We were both stunned and demurred only to be told that he thought “less than 12 hours, was insufficient for endorsement” and so another 2hrs.24mins went into our logbooks - at 6,000 pounds per hour - before final check-out at 13hrs 45mins.

Ross was always convinced that we had shaken the system by being presented for check-out before the average time. We departed Avalon on the 21/8/1959 and like the words from a song in South Pacific, “with a feeling of relief” to complete our route sectors. By the time our training was completed, Qantas had acquired VH-EB A, B, C, D and E.