PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DGCA Expat Phase-Out
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2010, 04:28
sky jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read this thread and the others with similar sentiments for the last several months and resisted posting. I have noticed a constant in those with the most virulent anti-expat views. It appears that those who most want us to leave are the currently unemployed. I find it interesting that those employed as first officers consistently state that they are glad that we are here. They tell us that they learn from us are trusted to improve their skills more by us and enjoy learning from our years of experience with the equipment. Many of us have been flying longer than all the Indian airlines except NACIL have been in existence. I try to teach something to my FO's every time I go to work. It helps them and keeps me sharp. My airline has been upgrading pilots as fast as they can and phasing down expats since I came to India two years ago. I fully expected them to be done with us at the phase out date that the DGCA originally set. The airline (which has all Indian management) decided that they needed us longer and petitioned for an extension. Still the day is fast approaching when we all will be gone. The real problem in India is that many young people decided for whatever reason to invest in careers in aviation than there will ever be enough jobs for either here or abroad. Some of you need to seriously come up with a plan B and maybe C and D. Just as elsewhere in the aviation world some who are deserving of a job will be left outside and yes, some who are unworthy will get the golden ticket and have the career that others covet. Expats are at worst a short term bump in your road of life. A bump that you probably can not do anything about. I suggest that you spend your time preparing for your future by working towards getting hired at an airline by networking. Did it ever occur to you that the expat has made friends while here in India and that those friends could be offended by your attitude towards them. The Indian pilot has spent hours in the cockpit with expats but does not know you at all. Because we stick out because of our uniforms and yes skin color I am often approached by young people in airports who want to talk about aviation and becoming a pilot or CPL holders looking for advice on getting jobs. I always take the time to talk to them but have seen locals blow them off with, "there are no jobs and to many people wanting them, forget it". I wish you all the best of luck in your job search, but why don't you give this topic a rest? It is not changing anything and I can't see it changing anything until the economics of airline flying in India change.

Jet