PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mutiny at RAF Manston?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2010, 17:11
StbdD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as to call it mutiny. Mutiny involves direct rebellion against authority. These lads, and lads they were, merely panicked.

I find it hard to believe it spread to large numbers
Human dynamics suggest that lacking a stronger force of compulsion in a confusing, high adrenaline situation most people will follow the example of anyone who seems to be taking action, whether that action be 'proper' or not. Those lads were probably well trained in maintaining, arming and fueling aircraft. They were not well trained in being bombed by tactical aircraft and the discipline required to do it under fire. Heading for shelter may have been the most reasonable of the options they perceived. Nor apparently were they led very well. Being bombed tacticly takes on a very personal air and requires some training, experience and leadership to overcome. Novice jack tars did no better against the broadside and grape unless trained and led properly.

Air forces as a rule are not trained in that manner IMO.

As I think of it, flip the psychology around by provide proper leadership and you may have the basis for most successful bayonet charges. Adrenaline channeled by training and a leader taking positive action....