PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk II
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2010, 15:48
larssnowpharter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done, Sir! You are indeed - in my opinion - correct. I also agree with your logic. Interesting that some sources seem to have misidentified it.

I chose this airfield because of its historical significance; we are after all on the Aviation History and Nostalgia thread!

Victims of the Japanese Massacre
Puerto Princesa, Palawan, P. I.
December 14, 1944
These U.S. prisoners of war of the Japanese were on the island of Palawan, P. I., as slave laborers building an airfield for the Japanese military. Believing that an invasion by the U.S. forces was imminent, the prisoners were forced into three tunnel air raid shelters, thus following orders from the Japanese High Command to dispose of prisoners by any means available. Buckets of gasoline were thrown inside the shelters followed by flaming torches. Those not instantly killed by the explosion ran burning from the tunnels and were machine gunned and bayoneted to death.

I think most will agree that it is indeed Puerto Princessa.

May I also add that the island of Palawan is a great place for a holiday if you want to get away from it all. It is sometimes called 'The Last Frontier' locally and has some wonderful sights and great diving.

Ciao

Lars