PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wings make odd noise…
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2002, 14:27
SlowRoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wings make odd noise…

I recently read in an article of an older german magazine, that during pre-flight inspection, as part of the wings check, when rocking them up and down holding them at the wing-tips, no “cracking” noise should be heard. If “cracking” is heard, flying would be a very bad idea instead, wings assembly should be thoroughly checked.

Now to my question: as a co-owner of a lovely Pilatus P3 I always hear this odd “cracking” when rocking the wings up and down, especially if during the previous flight aerobatics were performed.
I never thought this could be a problem, till I stumbled across that article, as I assumed that under the stress of aerobatics the wing would slightly flex and the skin with it…..it would then make a “cracking” noise where the aluminium sheets are riveted together, when some sort of tension was released by rocking the wing. In fact, this odd noise is to be heard only once. Repeated rocking of the wings will not result in repeated hearing of the odd “cracking”.

What do you think I should do guys ?? Have you ever experienced something similar ?

Cheers

SlowRoll