PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PFLs
Thread: PFLs
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2010, 11:27
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

Sorry, I havent read the whole thread, just your last post, so apologies if I am off the mark.

However, while I understand your point about keeping your options open, I think is equally important not to endow the average pilot with exceptional levels of skill.

The reality is many pilots dont practice FLs at all, or rarely, and are a long way short of having the skill set of glider pilots.

Keep the aircraft under control and at all cost dont stall and it is surprising what you can land into or on and survive. I recall the twin than ran out of fuel and "landed" through a roof onto a back garden all of 20 feet by 20 feet and the pilot had barely a scratch. I recall the Pitts that when through a fence, across a ditch, hit a tree and inverted. The pilot was fine.

Unfortunately those that stall the aircraft in and land with high energy in a unusual attitude do not do so well.

So, as another point of view, the danger is encouraging pilots to make last minute adjustments at low level and in consequence their losing control of speed and attitude. Yes, of course they should not lose control, but not only are HF but also currency issues that could mean the pilot is better of maintaining really close control of speed and attitude than attempting the perfect landing site.