PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HDP - thin end of the wedge.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2010, 06:16
Mooseflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like your outlook, Rook. IMO, none of us should ever be so beholden to our employer that we fear for our financial future with the temporary loss of our income, or the fear to do what is right or nescessary to uphold our values, self respect, or sense of worth. That goes for anyone in any occupation I suppose. Live within your means, save for a rainy day, whatever you want to call it. Financial independence is more important than that fancy new car, big house, etc. Contrary to popular belief (or company desire I'm sure), don't focus all of your time and attention on aviation. Learn new skills, network with others outside the profession, develop a side income - in essence, become more well rounded. I always feel sorry for some poor chap on the occation I sit next to him for hours on end who has nothing to talk about outside of flying airplanes. Sitting in an aluminum tube for 80 hours a month is just a JOB, afterall!

On the upside (for sake of this arguement anyway), pilot jobs all over the world are getting easier and easier to repace WRT income. For example, my neighbor kid makes the same daily $$$ as I do as a COS08 FO. What did he bring to his employer's table? A high school diploma and a healthy attitude and desire to succeed.

Last edited by Mooseflyer; 2nd Apr 2010 at 06:26.