PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serious UAS Question
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2002, 08:36
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In many I respects I agree that the UAS world 'ain't what it used to be'!

I was a stude in the 80s and a QFI in the 90s - both probably the most fun I have ever had with my trousers on (mostly). Also, I was lucky enough to instruct before and after the 'streaming' task was forced on us. During my time I was fortunate enough to have the pleasure of being taught by some of the Service's best and also fortunate enough to help some stars of the future overcome PFLs and Prince of Waleses.

However, I would say that the one of the main reasons for having the UASs is purely practical - based on historical success rates at AFT.

As a QFI one of my bug-bears was OASC turning down excellent pilots and budding Ocifers on the grounds of aptitude scores! I am also sure I am not alone in my dustrust of OASC but I was also lucky to have an inside track when I did a bit of digging.

To cut a long story short, a number of CAM/Farnborough/DERA studies based on very dubious statistics 'proved' that aptitude scores above a certain value lead to an 85% pass rate at
BF(J)TS. However, a study carried out in the late 90s by HQ PTC (my old UAS Boss carried it out, it so it is not bollox) showed that a UAS-trained stude, assessed as high-average or better, stood a 95% chance of passing TWU and getting to a FJ OCU - quite an impressive record I would say! That is why the UASs were given a stay of execution in the late 90s!

I am not aware how much flex studes are given these days nor how much autonomy OCs and CFIs are given. But I would like to think that common sense still plays a part in the UAS AFT!?

I also tried to use the PTC study to sidestep OASC but when I asked PTC for a copy of the report, they clammed up and said I wasn't entitled to that information and so OASC still rule the roost wrt to aptitude tests - b.gger!

As for VFM - I dunno, but whatever the UAS system costs, it still recruits the RAF a lot of super blokes and gals through the VR system so it definitely worth keeping.

Lastly, my advice to someone who wants to join the RAF through a UAS is still - DO IT! However, try to leave the the more technically demanding stuff until you can get continuity at Camps or even after finals as your first aim must be to get a degree, whether you are sponsored or not!