PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad Airmanship
Thread: Bad Airmanship
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2010, 16:13
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Detent writes:

Is it the case that, following the realization that a flapless landing will be necessary, that the crew cannot disable the "TO LOW FLAP" GPWS aural warning?

This is 'normally' done during the non-normal checklist as a result of the malfunction, is it not?

I would bet that, had the "TO LOW FLAP" GPWS warning been inhibited, the gear warning "TO LOW GEAR" would have been the trigger to do something!
I just re-read the AvHerald article the OP linked to, and can't see where "too low FLAPS" was heard on the CVR.

It strikes me as poor engineering if the crew would be unable to dismiss a "nag" once the problem had been understood and dealt with.

During approach to Barcelona at an altitude of about 3500 feet the flaps lever was selected to 8 degrees, the flaps however remained in their retracted position and a FLAPS FAIL message was generated at the Engine Indication and Crew Alerting System (EICAS). The crew subsequently communicated with ATC that they needed a higher landing speed of about 170 KIAS, but needed no emergency services, the tower stating 3352 meters of runway were available on 25R.
and then

The EGPWS on board however began to to produce aural alerts "TOO LOW, Minimums", "TOO LOW GEAR", "TOO LOW TERRAIN", "SINKRATE" and "DISAGREE GEAR". The warning "TOO LOW GEAR" was repeated 15 times. Two minutes prior to touch down the gear unsafe horn starts to sound and continues until after ground contact.

Neptunus Rex writes:

Why not change the warnings to: "Too Low, Flap" and "Too Low, Landing Gear." The disparate number of syllables should then alert the ICAO Level 2 English speaker to the imminent danger!
Remember, ICAO Level 4 is only a requirement for international flights.
I wonder if this would have helped - seems all the gear warnings are indeed the same # of syllables.

Quick question: Level 4 is only required for int'l flights, but how much proficiency training/testing is done for "talking" cockpits?

Another quick question:

Two minutes prior to touch down the gear unsafe horn starts to sound
Is there a similar horn warning for flaps on this frame - mistaken identity of warning?