PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serious UAS Question
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2002, 19:23
difar69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Beagle and most of the other comments about the state of the UAS system at the moment. I studied Aero Eng at "Impossible College" London and was also a member of the UAS, joining in 95. The system then was in the midst of its transformation from a no pressure intro. to the airforce, into the mini EFT that we have now.I found it very difficult with my course workload to devote the required amount of time to my flying, and it made it tougher than it should have been. I don't have any figures to hand but I'd say probably 10-20% of the guys I knew (including myself) are now in the airforce in flying posts. There were also a notable number of characters who were asked to leave after 2yrs because they weren't making sufficient progress under the new EFT style syllabus but are now RAF pilots.
I totally agree that unless you are really doing 3hrs a week on a basket weaving course at Nowhere Uni, don't bother with the UAS- apply direct just before/once you've graduated- you can then concentrate fully on flying and give it your best shot.
I believe the old system was partly there to acquaint future Captains of Industry with the RAF and make them feel less inclined to complain about us spending their taxes. I don't think that is the case any more. It has replaced EFT in all but name and in doing so much of the fun element has been eradicated.

Canberra - You insist on making "wise old Sage" type comments on topics you seem to have no real knowledge of. A few other posts have made similar comments recently as well. Can you take a hint? Or is your poor language and spelling an attempt to disguise the fact that you indeed are Admin Guru?