PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Warning
Thread: Stall Warning
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2010, 21:57
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Fly the aircraft onto the runway at the correct speed (not forgetting the flare obviously).
Not the best technique in my experience. I have never seen a "correct speed" published for flying and aircraft onto a runway. My experience with flight manuals has been that phrases like "reduce speed until tochdown" or "touch down a low speed" are the common way of expressing this. A number is not. Added to which, you really don't want the pilot "head in" during the final stage of landing, so watching the ASI is bad. Stall warning systems generally provide appropriate anagle of attack information to pilots, with a suitable margin of safety, and "head in" not necessary.

if you are starting out/ half way through, fly it onto the deck (with flare).
I do not agree. Learn it right, from the beginning, don't practice porr habits, with the intent of changing later. If the "flare" is not an effective pitch change to both arrest the descent, and cause a reduction in speed, it will probably do neither adequately. When an aircraft contacts the ground with a reserve of speed, returning to flight is possible, and likely. If, during this "overspeed" contact with the gorund, the descent rate has not been arrested, returning to flight (bounce) is certain. The second (or subsequent landing attempt (assuming a go around was not executed), will end up being a full stall landing, and will be much less under control than were it to have been planned that way from the start. Unless you are flying an aircraft with very high wing loading, and/or lift defeating devices such as spoilers, it is very hard to contact the ground at much over 1.3Vs, and get a good landing out of it.

The cost of a tyres compared to new wing spars/root and or aircraft are incomparable
Well, yes, though I have never seen damaged wings, or any other structure, resulting from a full stall landing inches over the runway. I have very certainly seen damaged aircraft resulting from being "flown on" to the runway (and generally either bouncing badly, or running off to on side due to wheelbarrowing). I have seen aircraft damaged from being dropped on from high, after stalling with no energy after a bounce. The stall was okay, it was the zero energy, and high (many feet above the runway) altitude which were the problem. I have seen expensive damage of all types to nosewheel asemblies, resulting from three pointers in tricycle aircraft. The most extreme being the guy who ran off the end of the runway, and during the invesigation, the non-pilot witness asking the invesigator: "Don't the main wheels have to be on the ground also, for the brakes to work?".

When a GA aircraft is fully stalled, you have full control with the rudder, and adequate control with the ailerons. Keeping it straight down the runway should be no problem. If you have a negligible descent rate inches above the runway, and are slowing down under control, you're going to have a good landing. Even a gusty day, within reason for the aircraft type, should not make the aircraft beyond controllable for a landing with a peeping stall warning horn. Full on blaring... I agree, not a good thing to attempt. Main reason: likely tail strike, and that is more expensive than rubber!

Deccelerating in the air just over the runway is free, and more effective than using brakes.

Everything within reason, but planning to get the plane on the ground much before you hear the stall warning, has the potential result in a not so good landing. You certainly can get a good landing without hearing the stall warning, but avoiding actuating the stall warning at touchdown is a poor idea. A pilot demonstrating this to me, would not get to fly my plane without some additional training.

Pilot DAR