PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Warning
Thread: Stall Warning
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2010, 21:14
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry but why would you want to hear a stall warner just above the runway?
To me it says that you are not flying the aircraft correctly at such a critical stage of flight.
Well, RJAY quite a lot of aircraft will bounce right back into the air if you fly them on to the ground with excess speed, not to mention flat landings with broken nosewheels, or a glorious balloon due to pulling a bit with excess speed, or yet a wheelbarrow landing. I fly mostly a taildragger (Pa18-150) without a stall warning device, but a fair bit as well in a DR400. Neither of them appreciate being shoved onto the ground at high speed, though the cub will take it better than the robin as long as I keep the tail well up. If you have got a stall warner, it is usually considered rather a good thing to hear it in the hold-off, which is or should be only a few inches above the ground. The idea is after all to land without any lift remaining....otherwise you should still be airborne, yes? We call this a hold-off, or if you are in France, 'un palier de de-acceleration' ie a level slow-down, which I think explains it rather well. And all my students have to be able to do this before doing any flying on their own. BTW, I am currently instructing on three axis microlights, but I have a reasonable amount of instructing on SEP in the past.