PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - canada
Thread: canada
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2002, 01:26
Super G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Xray-specs,

The move to Canada could quite possibly be one of the best you will ever make. If you ask him nicely, The Crimson Fruitbat may even expand on why it's so great to be in Canada. Quite apart from the fantastic beer, fabulous women, amazing skiing and scenery the dollars for performing ATC aren't bad either.

The one hurdle you may face however, and is worthy of further research, is the issue of immigration. Having decided early last year I would like to perform ATC in Canada and follow in the esteemed footprints of the Fruitbat, I put the immigration process into action. That was April last year. Just this week I have received a letter from the good folk at immigration Canada requesting my passport and more pictures. In other words the immigration process can be quite lengthy and there are no guarantees they will accept you. There is a points system they work on which if you don't meet or exceed then it can be difficult to qualify.

Nav Canada too can be a little difficult to communicate with and you really have to push them to get a hearing on your experience and qualifications. I freely admit my experience is relatively low coming up on six years, however I know of others with far more experience who had to jump through a lot of hoops to get tested by Nav Canada.

Having said all that though, it is not impossible as the Fruitbat will attest. My plan now is to take my immigration back to Canada some time next year and apply to Nav Canada from the 'inside'. I feel a great deal of resistance will be removed if I do it that way.
Good luck if you decide to move. It can be a trying experience getting there, but once in Canada you may decide never to leave.

Cheers, G