PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What about helicopters needs fixing?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2002, 22:27
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Wink

Sycamore,

I'll lend you mine! Shades of the GM7B, lovely big R & Bearing display in the WIII, penny pinching HMG gave us a display smaller than a JetRanger's in the SK

Nick, from an operator's (and one who pays the bills) point of view:

1. Set in concrete DOC's. Unscheduled maintenance is the pits for budgeting, and how often, when the machine in question is a more sophisticated twin, is the UM required because of an AD or manufacturer's bulletin, nearly always at the operator's expense. Watch a car company go out of business expecting the customer pay for it's mistakes.

2. Purchase price to be all inclusive. Smaller helicopters come with such a basic fit, by the time it's ready to be commercially operated the machine often costs 20-30% more than base price.

3. Better overhaul times (I realise this is already being addressed, but this is a wish list).

4. Comfortable, crashworthy and adjustable seating throughout the aircraft. The paying customer has a right to some comfort, and a decent bit of baggage space wouldn't be a bad idea. As for ECU's, when was the last time you paid a $million + for a car without a heater, let alone an aircon

5. More robust transmission systems, less likely to cause grief and pain.

Many of my other "wishes" have been well covered. I especially like the idea of BMW designing the cockpit